2021 Double AA Sports Spring/Fall Sunday League Rules - Updated April 15, 2021
1. The Spring/Fall Weeknight Mens League is a ASA Slow Pitch League governed by USA (ASA) rules for 2021.
2. Team rosters must be submitted to the league by June 18, 2021. Rosters will consist of up to 16 players. Rosters may be updated as long as team has 4 games remaining on schedule & league is notified in advance of the game. It is the responsibility of the team manager to submit roster to the league commissioner prior to them playing in a game. Penalty is forfeit
Players must play in a minimum of 4 games during the season to be eligible for the playoffs.
3. A player may only play for one team during the course of the season. Violation of this will result in a forfeit. "Once a Player plays 3rd game on one team they are locked on that team for season and can not play for another team"
Exception: If a team drops out in the 1st 3 weeks that teams players if they still want to play can be divided up into the other teams as per requests. This will be monitored by the commissioner
4. Game results: The Winning team is responsible to call all scores in by 2pm on game day to Tony 201-248-5057 or send an email to: email@example.com.
5. At the pre-game captains meeting with the umpire captains need to review league rules and field ground rules.
6. The pitching is lob pitch, No speed at all on the pitch. The arc is 6-10 feet from the ground. An illegal pitch will be called if either the pitch is too high, too low or too fast. If a batter swings at or contacts any illegal pitch, it is nullified and all play stands (live ball). If the batter does not swing a ball will be called on the batter.
7. The Mound is 50 feet from home plate. If there's a pitcher's rubber the pitcher's must have at least one foot in contact with the pitchers rubber.
8. Bases are 65 feet and each team must have bases.
9. The DoubleAA Sports Spring League will not be using the double base at 1st base for the 2021 season - However if they have the double base and teams agree to use it then umpire will allow the double base.
10. 3rd Strike foul the batter is Out.
11. No metal spikes - anyone wearing metal spikes will be ejected from the game until they can change to rubber cleats or sneakers.
12. Each team must field at least 8 players to start the game. If a team cannot field 8, it must forfeit. If a player has to leave once the game has started, that team may continue to play as long as it can field 8 players. If they cannot field 8, they forfeit. One of the 8 Players must be a catcher.
13. COURTESY RUNNER – Each team is allowed two courtesy runner per game it is always the last batted out any additional runners should be agreed upon before the game. In the 1st Inning with no outs the last batter in the order will be the runner.
14. 20 RUN / 15 RUN RULE - If a team is leading by 20 runs at the end of Three and one-half (3-1/2) innings (Five (4) innings if the home team is losing)
THEN - If a team is leading by 15 runs at the end of Four and one-half (4-1/2) innings (Five (5) innings if the home team is losing); or if after 5 innings, the complete inning thereafter; the game will be stopped and regarded as complete.
This will be enforced for the Regular Season & Playoffs.
15. A coin toss will determine home team for the first game and opposite team will be home the 2nd game.
16. Each team will present 2 Dudley .52/300 softballs as provided by the league to the umpire. This is the only ball to be used. If a team does not bring their new game balls, they will hit with their back up league balls. The team that supplies balls will hit with their new balls.
We will use Yellow Dudley .52 / 300 softballs for 2016 as required by ASA.
New Balls will be placed into game in the Top and Bottom of 1st inning.
17. You may bat up to 15 players as EH (Extra Hitters). The 9th through 15th players may be added to the lineup as they arrive or at any point in game even after your team has gone through lineup. The players can substitute for players in the field. But if you start with 15 you must finish with 15 players in the batting order or when that turn comes up it will be an out. “You must finish with the highest number of players entered in lineup.”
18. If there is a play at any base, the base runner must go down (slide) or avoid the play (get out of the way). In the eyes of the umpire, if he believes interference occurred, the batter and/or base runner can be called out.
19. Games are scheduled for seven (7) innings. Four and one-half (4-1/2) innings are necessary for a game to be considered complete, five (5) innings if the home team is losing. After the 5th inning then revert back to the last complete inning and the game is over, if the game is tie then teams will receive a tie, regular season.
20. All players must have a shirt signifying the team’s name or logo that they are representing.
There is no penalty for this rule. It is suggested to promote positive appearance for the team and league.
21. All bats utilized in the Fall League must be on the American Softball Association (ASA) Certified Listing (http://www.softball.org/about/certified_equipment.asp). Then select bats, select go and review .pdf file.
* Penalty - Shaved Bats - Anyone caught with a shaved bat your team will forfeit the games that day (2 games) and forfeit your previous 2 wins. Plus the player with the shaved bat will be suspended for the remainder of the year. As I said at the meeting last night. I will have the head of ASA show up un-annouced at games where I get complaints from teams of another team using shaved bat. He has a machine to test the bat. He will have the final say on if the bat is shaved or not.
22. Game times are noted on the schedules. Forfeit time is 15 minutes past starting time for 1st game and an additional 15 minutes for 2nd game to be declared a forfeit. Most games will start at 9am. In some cases we will need to have games start at either 8:30am or 11:30am.
23. Anyone thrown out of the game by the umpire’s will receive a one game suspension. If the same player gets thrown out of another game that player is suspended for the remainder of the season including playoff’s. Fighting will not be tolerated at all. Anyone fighting (physical contact) will be suspended for the season.
The Commissioner's, Captains and umpire involved will review all ejection's.
24. In the rare event the umpire does not show up for a scheduled game. The coaches can agree to play the game using an agreed upon person as the umpire or the catcher can call balls and strikes and the base coaches call the bases OR they can have the game rescheduled. PLEASE try to play games whenever possible to avoid rescheduling.
25. Protests - There will be a $35. Charge for all filed protests if you win the protest the money is refunded. Protests may only be made on an incorrect interpretation of the rules. All protests must be sent via e-mail within 24 hours of your game.
26. Inclement weather: A league decision on rainouts will be made by 7-7:30am on Game day and will be posted on the Web Site and on voicemail 201-248-5057. If there is no message stating the game is cancelled, consider the game on. PLEASE USE WEB SITE FOR UPDATES
27. Four (4) forfeits are allowed per season. On the Fifth forfeit, the team is automatically dropped from the league and playoffs.
28. All teams are to CLEAN UP any mess they have made at all fields.
29. Alcoholic Beverages and any illegal or controlled substances are prohibited on or near playing fields at all times. ANY TEAM, OR MEMBER OF A TEAM CAUGHT VIOLATING THIS RULE MAY SUBJECT HIS TEAM TO DISMISSAL FROM THE LEAGUE. THIS RULE WILL BE STRICTLY ENFORCED.
30. Rain Out Policy: 1st and 2nd Rainouts will result in an extension of the season. On the third rainout we will double up games. If we play more than half games in any week then rainouts will be doubled up as soon as possible.
31. Teams can play 3 or 4 Outfielders in 10 Man Softball. If they play 3 Outfielders the extra player can play in the infield.
32. The Batter will start with a 0-0 count in this league.
33. Forfeit Score will be 15-0.
NEW If your team forfeits games it will effect your playoff seedings, team with most forfeits in grouping of teams with the same record goes to the bottom of that grouping. However, If your grouping starts in a bracket and spans into lower bracket your team will be last team in upper bracket.
34. Any field in league with a fence: We will have a 5 Homerun Limit then it is an out. If a field does not have a fence but a ground rule homerun example in the woods then the 5 Homerun limit then an out still applies.
2021 SPRING PLAYOFFS:
Based on 49 Teams - All teams will make Playoffs as long as team has a win
A Playoffs - Top 8 Teams in A Division (Northeast Div) - Best of Three
B Playoffs - Seeds 9-24 (Division Winners will be 9,10,11 Seeds, Then Seeds 12,13,14 are Last 3 Seeds in A) and next best 10 Seeds - Best of Three
C Playoffs - Seeds 25-40 - Best of Three
D Playoffs - Seeds 41-49 - Single Elimination to Finals then Best of Three (Teams must win 1 game to make playoffs)
Each Bracket will have a Champion and a Runner Up.
Higher Seed Home 1st and 3rd game.
Umpires will have the softballs for all playoff games.
Playoff games will be at best fields available when appropriate
FINALS WILL BE AT A NEUTRAL FIELD
Blank Playoff Templates will be posted once I have final team count
Tiebreakers: (Head to Head, Run Diff. in Head to Head games, Runs Allowed, Runs Scored, If still tie (highly doubt it) then coin flip.
In the case of 2 or more teams that all did not all play each other during the season the tiebreakers are as follows
Runs Allowed, Runs Scored, If still tie (highly doubt it) then coin flip
* * IF your team forfeited games your team is moved to the bottom of that grouping (But not to lower bracket) of teams with same record, based on number of forfeits (Grouping = Records ex 9-9) then we use tiebreakers
*** IMPORTANT: Player Injury Insurance is NOT provided by Double AA Sports, Tony Davino or RPS Bollinger Insurance. Teams had the option to purchase separately for their team but no teams decided to purchase this year. This was reviewed at Mandatory 2019 Captains Meeting. All Players play at their own risk, each team and each individual participating player must acknowledge and understand that Double AA Sports, Tony Davino, it’s agents, servants and employees will not be responsible for loss or injury to any individual. Double AA Sports or Tony Davino will not be responsible for medical expenses of any kind resulting from loss or injury suffered in any league activity. ***
“Anyone playing in league knows risks of COVID-19 and you assume full responsibility and liability for the risk of injury, illness, sickness, disease, disability, and/or death which may result from exposure to or infection with COVID-19 before, during or after participating in league from player/person interaction and exposure and/or being present at facilities. You hereby waive, release and discharge any Town, Double AA Sports, Tony Davino, USA softball, RPS Bollinger, or employees, agents from any and all losses, damages and liability"
"As of June 1st - Any games or scrimmages by Double AA Sports players will be Non Contact Practice (NCP) until governor executive order is lifted"
*** I recommend ALL Pitchers wear a mask or helmet when pitching and infielders wear a mask - which could help from bad hops or line drives ***